Friday, April 1, 2011

Game Used Bat


I picked up this Tim Wallach game used bat on ebay.  The only picture I can find of him using this model is on his '91 O-Pee-Chee.  So I'm assuming he used it during the 1990 season.  I've never been a huge fan of game-used bats.  They're difficult to display, tend to be dirty, and cost a lot.  But that said, if another Wallach bat that's priced right shows up, I'll take it.  As you can see from the knob, there's no "29" written, which is kind of a bummer.  This also has a small screw just above the yellow sticker, which I assume was put in place to keep a crack from getting worse.

While I'm no bat collector to speak of, it is sort of cool to hold this thing in your hands.  It's surprisingly heavy.  Not that I have a lot of first hand knowledge of how heavy MLB bats are.  As kid my brother and I had a Dick Schofield bat that some one my father worked with gave to us.  I don't remember the connection the guy had to Schofield.  The Schofield bat was heavy, but we were like 8 and 10 at the time, and we were still able to use it.  For whatever reason, I remember using it to hit a lot of small landscaping rocks.  It never occurred to us that it may be a "collector's item."  I don't think I'll be hitting any rocks with this Wallach bat.  But if it weren't for the existing crack, I certainly wouldn't be adverse to using it the next time my brother and I take b.p. with my father, which still occurs every couple of years.  If ever pick up another one that isn't cracked, I'm definitely taking some cuts with it.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment