Monday, November 25, 2019

2019 Topps Archives Expos 50th Autograph "Green Foil" #/99


Card Review: 5.8  I prefer the "basic," or "normal," Silver Foil stamp on this card to the Green One that was added to this card.  I when say "this card," I mean "this card."  This is the same card.  Topps printed them up, then arbitrarily took a few copies and added different colored foil stamping to a few and individual numbering to a few others.  That doesn't change the fundamental fact that it's all the same card.  The 1988 Donruss "variations" have more of a claim to being "different" cards than these goofy different colored foil things do.  They at least required different printing plates and runs.  1969 Topps is a nice enough design without the foil stamping, and it certainly doesn't need the player, even a player as great as Tim Wallach, further tarnishing the card with some sharpie scribbles.

I know I'm complaining a lot here, so I don't want a key point to be lost.  I love this subset.  I was extremely excited to pick up my first copy of the Wallach card, and can't give Topps enough credit for including this subset in Archives this year.  But without question, the cards without the autographs are better looking than the cards with the autographs.  If a collector wants a card signed, they can take one to a show, go to a spring training game, mail it the stadium with an SASE, or any number of other options.  Topps doesn't need to be putting them in packs, unless it's a reproduction included on every card, like in 1982.

Also, this should probably be pointed out, these green ones are individually numbered out of 99.  I guess you could call this the "Geof Rowley" version of this card.  (Any "Vans" sneakers enthusiast may get that reference)



Number of this card in my collection: 1 


No comments:

Post a Comment