Thursday, October 24, 2019

2019 Topps Archives Expos 50th Autograph


Card Review: 6.0  I'll cut to the chase.  I don't like autographs on cards.  I grew up during a period when it was considered sacrilege to write on a card.  "Don't let Mattingly sign an '84 Donurss, or Pete Rose sign a '63 Topps," were basic, bedrock principles of collecting that every kid on the playground trading cards knew by heart.  Beyond not liking the idea of some dude (even the dude on the card) scribbling his name on my card, I have never understood the appeal of an autograph that wasn't obtained in person.  Isn't that the whole point of an autograph?  It's proof of, or a way to commemorate, the experience of meeting someone?  These just feel like false, manufactured memories to me.  So, that said, this card has received the lowest rating of any of the four variations I've posted so far.

I'm also not quite sure what the design team was thinking when they opted to send Wallach the sharpies they did to sign this card.  It's really hard to see the ink.  If you're going to mess up a card with a signature, at least send the signers the right color/size sharpie to use.

I don't mean to complain too much.  Topps issuing new Wallach cards will always be a good thing, and I hope he continues to show up in these sets.  I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth.  One thing this card has going for it, is unlike the foil variations, this is at least a "different" card.  The back of this card, while perhaps not the most exciting back I've ever seen, is at least unique.  This card is the result of it's own print run.  Not only is the back different on this card than the non-auto cards in this set, it's orientation in relation to the front of the card is also reversed.  Now, I can't the say the same thing about the various foil colored logos of this card that exists, but at least it's different from the non-auto copies.

Number of this card in my collection: 4
2020 update: 5



No comments:

Post a Comment