Monday, November 5, 2012

1988 Topps Cloth




















Card Review: Incomplete  I'm not sure what to make of this.  At $9.99 it's the 2nd most expensive Wallach "card" I've ever bought.  It's on "cloth" that is about as thick as a paper napkin if you were to peel it apart, but no where near as brittle.

I did some digging online and found a Card Collector Digest article on this set, and a youtube video testing the theory that they were made to grow and expand when submerged in water (they don't).  I'd like to see the guy try to rip one in half, but he doesn't.  To summarize the article and video: (1) there aren't very many of these, and (2) no one really seems to know what Topps was going for or why they scraped it.  (3) Of the cards out there, about half are still on uncut sheets, and the other half were cut like the one above.

Feel free to correct me in the comments if you know something I don't.

Number of this card in my collection: 1
2013 update: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment