Thursday, December 8, 2011

1993 O-Pee-Chee #225




















Card Review: 4.5  I believe this set lends itself very well to the argument that '92 Topps and not '91, was the last "real" Topps set.  I don't agree with that argument, but I still think a valid case can be made for it.  Topps was unchanged from '57-'91.  In '92 they switched to white cardboard stock.  So I draw the line after '91.  But O-Pee-Chee was always the same design as Topps, even in '92.  It wasn't until '93 when Topps added gloss to the backs of cards, that O-Pee-Chee was issued with it's own unique (albeit ugly) design.

I've always found this card to be a little bit weird.  Besides the fact it's the first time OPC was a unique design (excluding OPC Premier), the juxtaposition of the Expos uniforms and Dodgers logos is a bit strange.  The "new" Expos uniforms also add to the strange feel of the card for me.

Fun Facts:
*Wallach is often cited as one of the last players to wear the flapless batting helmets, grandfathered in when the MLB banned them.  He's seen wearing one on the back of this card.  While Wallach was one of the last players to be allowed to wear them, I don't believe he ever actually wore them during games (look at the photo on the front).  My belief is that he wore them during batting practice, but went with the standard, one ear flap helmet, in games.

Number of this card in my collection: 1
2012 update: 3
2013 update: 4
2014 update: 5
2015 update: n/a
2016 update: n/a
2017 update: n/a
2018 update: 8
2019 update: n/a
2020 update: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment