Saturday, March 30, 2024

Escondido, CA



This box, stuffed with 863 Wallach cards, was sent to by Mike of Escondidio, California.  Mike is a long time collector who stumbled onto my blog and in an act of incredible generosity, sent these cards my way.  It's one of the larger mailings I've ever received and took no small amount of time to sort.  I can't imagine how much time it took Mike to pull these from what sounds like a rather large collection of cards.  Below are photos of all the cards inside and updated totals for each.


I opted to sort these by brand before taking pictures of them this time instead of my normal method of sorting them by year/brand.  It takes a little longer, as I have to sort them by year again when I'm done as that's how I store them, but I felt like it was time for a change.


Other than 1990, Wallach had a pretty good run of nice looking Fleer cards from 1982-92.  The blurry, sun bleached photo has always bugged me as 1990 Fleer is one of my favorite sets.  It's full of great photos and fun color ribbons that often match well with the photos.  The blue ribbon with the Expos road blues being an exception, the colors clash and look terrible together.


That 1990 Topps Sticker  (center left) is the first one I've added since 2016,  and only my 3rd copy total. 


I think someone at Upper Deck was a bit of an Expos fan.  Wallach always had great photos on his UD cards, front and back.  Additionally, in 1997, Upper Deck was the only company to produce a card of Wallach, including him in the 1997 Collector's Choice set and adding a little banner that said "Career Tribute," it was the only card at the time to show Wallach's full career stats.  Topps, in contrast, stopped including Wallach after the 1995 set and I'm still salty about it.


I really like the backs of the Score sets from 1988-92, and the sets as a whole are underrated.



Wallach never had a Diamond King in the regular set (a truly egregious omission), but he at least found his way into the Leaf Canadian Greats counterpart.


The 1991 Jumbo Seeds is the first one I've added since 2017.  It's probably my all-time favorite Wallach "food product" insert card.  It was an annual (if not unsurprising) disappointment growing up to see Wallach not on the Captain Crunch, or Raisin Brand, or Purina checklist of insert cards.  This Jumbo Seeds though is done in the same style and makes up for a lot of those omissions.

That stack of 21 2003 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites nearly doubled my total number from 23 up to 44.

Thanks for the cards Mike, they are very much appreciated.

Updated Totals:




1 comment:

  1. Fantastic box of cards. Really like seeing the Leaf Limited cards (among many others) in this group.

    ReplyDelete