Monday, November 10, 2014

Throwback Cal-St. Fullerton Hat


I've never posted a hat on this blog.  That's not to say I don't have a a good number of hats for no other reason than Wallach wore a similar one for a team at some point in his career, but that alone doesn't make them a "Wallach item" in my book.  I'm making an exception for this one.  Because, as you can see above, the description specifically mentions Wallach.

I'm a hat person.  I own lots of hats.  If I'm not in my office, I'm typically wearing a hat.  I also have a large head.  As such, I almost exclusively buy fitted hats.  I wear a 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 depending on the brand, style, and just slight variances that exists within the same hat.  Because of my rather large head, I typically stay clear of snap-back hats.  They just don't fit right when you have to put them on one of the largest settings.  This one fits ok, but not well enough to go into my regular rotation.

In addition to being a fan of hats, I am an even bigger fan of College Baseball.  I love College Baseball, and have since I was kid.  Coming from a Syracuse family, I was sort of a free agent, free to root for whatever school I chose as SU didn't (and still doesn't) have a baseball team.  Fullerton was one of my favorites, along with Maine (only legitimate northeast power), Arizona State, and Wichita State.  I still root for CSFU, ASU, and Maine.  Wichita State, not so much (they upset SU in Basketball in 2007, and I was done with them after that).  I always loved that much like hockey, smaller schools who didn't excel in other D1 sports could be baseball powers.  For my money, The Big West is still the best conference in baseball.






As far as mesh, snap-back hats go, this one is very well made.  The material seems well constructed, and it has a lot of nice little touches, such as "The Game" embroidered under the bill.  I've only been able to find one photo of Wallach wearing this style of Fullerton cap, and from picture I can't tell if it was a mesh, snap-back or not.  Take a look.


Most photos of Wallach at Fullerton, show him wearing the pin-wheel style "F" cap.  


I've got one of those too.  I really like the Fullerton stuff, and would love to pick up a Wallach Titan's jersey in that '79 style, but as far as I can tell they don't exists.  I keep checking the Fullerton bookstore website periodically none the less.





2 comments:

  1. I went to CSUF for a year, and my biggest regret (well, aside from failing that science class) was not going to a baseball game. Would like to fix that at some point, but I'm not sure that I'll ever be in southern California at the right time. Maybe if they play the Longhorns I'll be able to check them out. Those hats look killer!

    ReplyDelete