Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Redondo Beach, CA


 This pair of Wallach cards was sent by Austin of Redondo Beach, California.  Austin has been sending me cards for over a decade now going back to 2013, making him one of the oldest contributors to this blog.  This is also the second time this month he has sent cards, as you may notice the previous post was also a card sent by Austin.

 The 1993 Topps Finest is only my 9th copy of that card, and the first one I've added in 3 years.  I question how scarce '93 Finest actually are.  I'm sure they're were fewer copies printed of them than '93 Topps or Stadium Club, but I suspect they appear to be less abundant than they actually are in part because of their perception of being rare amongst collectors.  I put 1984 Donruss and 1989 Upper Deck in a similar category.  I don't believe those were printed in any lower quantities than their respective '84 and '89 counterparts, yet people treat them as though they were.  I'd wager there are just as many '89 UD Griffey's floating around as there are '89 Donruss Griffey's, but the perception of '89 UD being somehow scarce drives up it's price.  On a much smaller scale, I feel like I'm sent far fewer '89 UD or '84 Donruss Wallach's than I am '84 or '89 Topps Wallach's, despite their being printed in similar numbers.

In any event, thank you for the cards Austin!

Updated Totals:

1989 Fleer: 526

1993 Topps Finest: 9

1 comment: