Friday, November 15, 2019

Houston, Texas


These seven cards were sent by Marc of Houston, Texas.  Marc runs the card blog "Remember the Astrodome.".  You can also follow Marc on Twitter @marcbrubaker if you're a tweeter.  The 1991 Panini sticker is the first one I've picked up since I published the initial post for it back in 2012.  In fact, I can say with some degree of certainty that it's the first one I've added since 1991.

In 1991 my brother and I, along with the other kids in the neighborhood, were actively trying to fill the Panini sticker books.  Crazy kids that we were, we were actually peeling the stickers and slapping them in the book with no concern for their future value (what were we thinking!?!?).  They came in those sort of weird paper packs, similar to what a wet wipe at a wings restaurant comes in, only larger, and we could ride our bikes to the nearby grocery store that sold them.

What I discovered that summer, was that Panini had an offer where you could send them stickers with a SASE and they would send you specific ones you needed in return.  You just couldn't ask for a dozen Mattingly's or Strawberry's,...or Wallach's (as I'm sure they were being flooded with request for), only one copy per sticker per request.  I can say pretty safely that most of my five copies came to me through that offer.  So I guess at some point I had another copy stuck in the book, but that has long since been recycled or tossed.

Thanks for the cards Marc.

Updated Totals:

1987 Fleer: 227
1990 Topps: 536
1991 Panini: 6
1991 Score: 256
1991 Topps: 272
1991 Upper Deck Checklist: 240
1992 Topps: 235



No comments:

Post a Comment