Sunday, May 19, 2019

Sunday Edition


These five 2012 Topps were sent by Adam, from Broomfield, Colorado.  Adam operates the card blog "Infield Fly Rule."  You should check it out.  He sent these cards to me back in April,...of 2018.  My bad.  Thanks for send the cards Adam, four of the five still ended up filling 2012 needs.

In addition to finding this envelope, I've been somewhat active on ebay of late.  Here are a few highlights:


These five weren't necessarily anything high on my want list, the Papale and '70 Williams are actually duplicates for me, but when I see cards I like at what I deem to be the right price, I tend to be somewhat impulsive.



I'm somewhat embarrassed to say admit this, but these two cards above represent my first ever '51 Topps red (or blue) backs.  I can remember early in my collecting days looking at Beckett price guides (it was still in the early days of Beckett too), and this set standing out as the oldest one listed.  Over the years the weight of importance I placed on that faded, and some how through it all I've managed to never own one.  Well, now I own two, and I feel pretty good about it.  At some point I'll likely make an effort to complete these sets.  The cards feel pretty good in hand, nice and sturdy, and I imagine this set would look very nice sleeved in a binder.  It also won't break the bank to piece together a low grade set.  Hopefully the right size pages exists.

Finally, this may be my favorite new acquisition in quite some time.  I owned this card, along with a good number of others from this series decades ago, but they were lost to time.  I know it's a cliche, but my mother literally threw these out when I was in college.  She knew better than to toss the '88 Donruss, but a lone Garbage Pail Kid in a top loader (yes, I kept Nasty Nick in a top loader and he still got tossed), that wasn't anything worth keeping.



I had maybe two dozen 1st series in top loaders in a shoe box that was sent to the curb.  My 2nd and 3rd series were, and remain, in a 3-ring binder.  It was my over abundance of caution that led to the destruction of my first series cards.  This Nasty Nick is in extremely poor shape, as you've probably already determined, but I'm happy to have one in hand again. 

The first three series of GPK's are another set build I hope to take on but it's just not all that high on the priority list, especially given the price.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Garbage Pail Kids is such a great series. Better then than they are now, but still great. I need to dig mine out and put them in binders. I think I have Evil Eddie (Nasty Nick's doppelgänger). That first series especially was so awesome.

    JT, The Writer's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Permit To Stay Up Late! I love it!

    Glad those 2012s still filled some needs.

    ReplyDelete