Monday, August 24, 2015

Woodbury, MN


For the 2nd time in as many months (7th time total), Jim of "Garvey, Cey, Russel, Lopes" has sent cards.  I'm sure many of the people who read this blog also read GCRL, so it's not news to learn that July 31, 2015 marked the last post for that blog.  It's still a wealth of cool information though, as is Jim's other defunct blog "Oh My O-Pee-Chee!," which I view as the definitive source for OPC baseball card information and still reference with some regularity.


I wasn't a Dodger fan until 1993, or rather December of 1992.  When Wallach was traded in December of 1992, I rode my bike down to the Hall of Fame gift shop (I was living in Cooperstown) and bought my first Dodgers cap.  It wasn't the day after the news broke, but pretty close to it, as I had to beg for what amounted to an additional Christmas gift while the tree was literally still up in the living room.  And for the next three years, my GCRL was  "Karros, Wallach, Offerman, DeShields, and I rooted for them as though I were a life long bleeder of Dodger blue. 

The last few years I have again found myself following the Dodgers on a daily basis due to Wallach's presence as a coach.  I can only imagine the tension life long Dodger fans are feeling this season, and currently with this five game losing streak.  I still trust in Mattingly, Wallach, McGwire, Lopes, and Honeycutt to find a way to win the World Series, but I felt better about it in May.

Thanks for the cards Jim.  They're always appreciated.

updated totals:

1993 Upper Deck x3: 84
1995 Collector's Choice: 20
1996 Pinnacle: 29


No comments:

Post a Comment