Thursday, April 30, 2015

1986 Donruss All-Stars unopend pack



This the least presentable of the unopened packs I have that show a Wallach card inside.  It's the only one I have that features the Wallach on the back of the package, but it wouldn't make much difference if it were on the front given the Graig Nettles pop-up card obscurring what I'm pretty sure is a Jim Rice card.

I bought a lot of these packs as a kid, albeit, several years after the fact.  They showed up at my local card shop ("The Batter's Box") probably around 1988, and between the gimmick of pop-ups, over-sized cards, the discounted price, and Wallach's inclusion, I tore through a lot of them.

As with any mention of All-Star related things, I'll use this as an oppurtunity to gripe about player selection for a 30 year old exhibition game, as is my habit.  Graig Nettles batted .261 with 15 home runs and 61 RBI in 1985.  He was named the starter at 3B for the National League in the All-Star game and thus was included as a pop-up card in this set.  Wallach hit 22 home runs, drove in 71 runs, and also batted .260 in 1985.   He won the gold glove at 3B, and was also awarded the Silver Slugger.  Yet Nettles got the start, so there was no pop-up card made of Wallach.  It still annoys me.

No comments:

Post a Comment