Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Matt Wallach 2013 Albuquerque Isotopes #18


Card Review: A+  This is my favorite card (at least of the ones I've seen) of any of the Wallach kids.  Due in no small part to the uniform.  I went to a good number of Isotope games this year and saw Matt play a few times while he was up with them.  It's also sort of cool, because it lines up neatly with the cards of Tim in an Isotopes uniform from when he managed them.  On a side note, Brad Ausmus played for Wallach as an Isotope while Wallach was winning awards as Manager of the year in the PCL.  I'm sure Ausmus learned some things that will help him manage in Detroit next year.  Nice hire Tigers!

Matt is the oldest of the Wallach kids, and the only one to reach the AAA level.  He's been a regular at Spring Training in Scottsdale the last few years.  Two years ago I saw the Dodgers play an exhibition game on St. Patricks day at the Salt River Complex.  I was disappointed to find Wallach didn't make the trip, but to my surprise Matt was up with the team, green jersey and all.  He spotted me wearing an Expos #29 jersey, and said "Nice jersey."  He didn't get to play, but made it onto the scoreboard and on-deck circle only to see the batter in front of him make the third out.  He never actually got into the game.  Some pics from that game are below.



(not my "martini" glasses, which really have no place at the ball park)


I just find this to be really cool.  Too bad it didn't happen the same season, but there's still a chance it'll happen on a regular Topps card down the road.

If that does happen, I wouldn't expect to see a recreation of this card:






No comments:

Post a Comment