Friday, September 6, 2013

2001 Rancho Cucamonga Quakes #20


Card Review: 8.4  This card was set to hold a spot near the top of my "Want List" which I'll be posting in a couple of weeks, but then four of them showed up in my mailbox thanks to the Minor League Singles site.  The photo is a lot more interesting than the card itself.  I think it's safe to say this is the only card to ever feature Wallach throwing batting practice.  He did pitch a few innings in his career (knuckleballer), but no photos of it ever found their way onto cardboard.  In fact I've never seen any photos from his pitching outings.

The back of this card makes reference to something I've long held out as fact despite not really having any difinative proof other than a vague 25 year old memory that I've started to question over the years.  But there it is on the back of this card.  Tim Wallach was Sports Illustrated's pick for NL MVP in 1987.



Fun Facts:
*In 2001 the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes were the "Advanced A" affiliate of the Anaheim Angels
*It was Wallach's 2nd stint as a professional manager.  In 1998 he was one of three people to manage the San Bernardino Stampede, an "Advanced A" affiliate of the Dodgers.

Number of this card in my collection: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment