Tuesday, June 25, 2013

1991 Homerun Kings Page


Card Review: N/A I'm not calling this thing a card.  I've seen it listed on a lot of online databases for awhile and when one popped up on ebay I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  It appears to be a page cut out from a sticker book.  I think originally these may have been punched for a 3-ring binder, but that portion of the page didn't make the "cut."  I could be wrong though.  There's also an accompanying sticker to go in the upper left that I'll be posting next.  I'll list the sticker as a "card" but will not be counting this as a "card."  I don't think I'm being unreasonable.  It's not nicest paper stock I've ever seen, but it's far from the worst either.  Andre Dawson is on the flip side and pictured below.

I'm pretty sure that this company is the same company that made Red Foley Stickers and I'll explain why when I post the accompanying sticker in a couple of days.  The bio information on this card is littered with errors.  For one Wallach wasn't drafted out of Cal-St. Fullerton by the Expos in 1975.  He was drafted in 1979.  '79 was also the year he won the Golden Spike Award as the top amateur player in the Country and led Fullerton to a National Championship in Omaha.  He was also drafted in '78 but opted to remain in school.  But either case, he was not drafted in 1975.  I also take a little issue with calling '89 a "sub-par" season.  In '89 Wallach again led the National League in doubles and was named an All-Star.  It wasn't his best season, but calling it "sub-par" is a bit much.



No comments:

Post a Comment