Friday, December 20, 2019

New York, NY


I tried using my office scanner for the first time with these cards.  While I like the colors, the sizing is off, so I don't expect to be using it again.  These four cards were sent courtesy of the Luis Torrens Fan Club from somewhere in New York City.  The return address is actually my address (guess that's one way to avoid having things returned for insufficient postage?), but the cancellation stamp is New York, NY.  Also included was a home made Staten Island Yankees card of Luis Torrens.  Torrens hasn't played for Staten Island since 2016, but did appear in 7 games for the San Diego Padres last season.  That's probably about as far removed from the New York Penn League as you can get, geographically and by class. 

The Staten Island Yankees are not my favorite team.  Growing up in Cooperstown, I went to a ton of Oneonta Yankees games as a kid.  They were the Yankees short-season A Ball affiliate in the NY Penn League.  It was somewhat devastating when they relocated to Staten Island.  The O-Tigers who replaced them just didn't have the same feel (they too have since moved on, and Damascke Field is now without a minor league tenant).

Thanks for the cards.

Updated Totals:

1986 Topps All-Star x2: 668
1988 Topps All-Star: 749
1988 UK Mini: 90

2 comments:

  1. I went to a few Oneonta Yankees games as a kid, usually as an complement to a HOF trip. Great memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Topps UK cards are so very wonderful. As a Mets fan, I love seeing the RC Cola backgrounds, and because of this set, I learned to convert lbs. to stone. The team logos look especially great in the smaller size.

    ReplyDelete