Saturday, April 23, 2016

Elgin, IL


These cards were sent by Jim from Elgin, IL.  Jim has been the most frequent contributor to this blog over the last year, and it hasn't really been close.  I'm not complaining.  Included with this assortment was an autographed copy of a 1990 Fleer Bryn Smith.  I'm not a huge fan of autographs, but I kind of love this one.  Not just because of the player, but because it's a great looking signature.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but when I think of favorite team(s), the line-up or roster in my head, is probably one that never existed.  Sure, if you ask me who was on a particular team , like '98 Yankees, I can tell you, but in a general sense it's a hodge podge of guys from an era.  The Expos of my youth for instance.  The 25 man roster for the "Expos of my Youth," likely includeds guys that never actually played together (or maybe only did for a season or two), or a 4 man rotation that was never actually used.  It's more of just a general sense of merged memories from say '83 to '92.  But to me, that collection of guys are/were/and will forever be the Expos.  And it's not necessarily the stars.  Joe Hesketh for instance, was a guy I liked.  Objectively, he's not much more than a footnote in Expos history, but he's always going to be one of the first guys I think of when I think of the Expos.  I'd wager every fan has a similar roster in their head, and no two are going to be alike.  No one's is more right or wrong than anyone else's.  Bryn Smith is also a key member of "my" Expos, so I'm happy to add the above card to my collection.

Thanks for the cards Jim.

Updated Totals: 

1983 Topps: 229
1986 Topps: 250
1987 Topps: 723
1988 Topps: 545

No comments:

Post a Comment