Monday, December 3, 2012

1995 Pacific #227


Card Review: 8.1  This is a surprisingly strong card from a somewhat obscure company.  I bought a good amount of Pacific College Basketball cards in 1995 chasing cards of The Great Lawrence Moten, but I don't remember ever seeing Pacific Baseball cards.

I can't certain, and I'm not going to try to talk myself out of it, but it looks to me like Wallach is in a home run trot mode in this card.  Either his own homer, or he was on base when someone else hit one.  I went back and looked at boxscores from the Dodgers games at Wrigley in 1994 (I'm assuming this photo is from '94 and not '95) and walked away feeling even more confident that this is a picture of Wallach in a home run trot one he hit.  I just don't know what game.  The Dodgers played just three games in Wrigley during the strike shortened '94 season, and Wallach homered in two of them (he didn't score any other runs).

On June 10, 1994, Wallach hit a 2-run homer off of Steve Trachsel in the 6th inning in a 2-1 Dodgers win (do you get bonus points in WAR calculations when you actually help your team win, or just 5/5 performances in 6 run loses?)

Two days later on June 12, 1994, Wallach again hit a 2-run homer in another 2-1 Dodgers win.  This time off of Anthony Young in the 2nd inning.  That game was a 1pm Sunday start, so I'm going with that one as for when the picture on this card is from.  Wallach, ever the professional, doesn't seem too fired up about a 2nd inning homer.  Again, I'm assuming there is no bonus WAR points for actually effecting on-field results (such a ridiculous "stat").

Number of this card in my collection: 1
2016 update: 2
2017 update: n/a
2018 update: n/a
2019 update: n/a
2020 update: 3
2021 update: n/a
2022 update: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment