Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunday Edition

 

Recent Additions


These two high number 1953 Topps bring me slightly closer to closing out the set.  I'm less than 30 cards away from completion.  I was able to finally pick up the Jensen at a price I could stomach, thanks in no small part to the "LIFT" written across his nose in purple ink.  For my purposes and budget, I don't mind, but apparently others do.  I get that he's a former MVP with a very interesting history (retired after leading the AL in RBI's for the 3rd time in 5 years due to fear of flying and the arrival of air travel in baseball), but I still don't think it should demand the Hall of Fame prices it routinely does.



This pair of '73 Topps knocks my need list down to 11 cards for that set.  These were final two cards from the first and second series that I needed. 


Four more 1987-88 Fleer inch me slightly closer to finishing off that set.  Despite being less than a dozen cards away from finishing it off, the Jordan lingers as an obstacle I don't expect to clear anytime soon.


The Bo Jackson isn't a new pickup, but the Janowicz is, albeit, a duplicate.  Fun fact, these are the only two Heisman Trophy winners to ever play in Majors (and thus the reason for including Jackson).  Jackson of course won the Heisman with Auburn in 1985.  Janowicz won the Heisman as a halfback at Ohio State in 1950.  He opted to play for the Pirates after college, but after two seasons went back to football, playing for the Washington Redskins.  Tragically he was left partially paralyzed in a car accident after only one season in the NFL.


These Ralph Neely's aren't new cards either.  But I'm not sure I've ever posted a Neely card on this blog.  Neely is from Farmington, New Mexico (the city I've resided in since 2008), and was a star on the Farmington High School football and basketball teams before going on to be a two-time All-American at Oklahoma.  He played for the Dallas Cowboys from 1965 to 1977, being named an All-Pro four times and helping them win two Super Bowls.  He was named to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1960's.  Along with Duane Ward (the former Blue Jay), Ralph is on the short list for greatest athlete to ever come out of this region.


Finally, I also added the above Wallach's.  Seven total various 1984's.  

Updated Totals:

No comments:

Post a Comment